Solyanka is a traditional Russian and Ukrainian dish. There are many variants how to cook it, but all in all it is a soup with meat, fish or mushroom broth and various spices. Solyanka usually has sour-salty-spicy base due to the addition of such components as pickles, olives, capers, lemons and sour cream. We will cook the meat solyanka with mushrooms.
- SERVES: 4-6 Servings
- PREP: 5 mins
- COOK: 20 mins
- READY IN: 1 hr 30 mins
- 150 grams of each type smoked foods (bacon, hunter sausages, carbonade, salami, etc.)
- 400 grams mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium onions
- 200 grams tomato puree (this is actually less concentrated tomato paste)
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2-3 pickles
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh herbs
- sour cream to serve with
- lemon to serve with
- olives to serve with
- First of all cut the smoked foods, mushrooms, carrots and onions. Also clean the potatoes and cut into cubes.
- Put the smoked foods into a pan and fry until they begin to brown.
- Add the mushrooms, onions and carrots. Stir and cook until they are brown.
- Add the tomato paste and stew for 3-5 minutes. At this time, cut the pickles.
- Add the pickles and fill one and one half liter of water. Cover with a lid, bring to boiling and cook on a moderate heat for about an hour.
- After that you can then add the greens and leave for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a slice of lemon, a few olives and sour cream in each serving.
- p.s. If you have a pressure cooker, prepare solyanka soup the same way, but under pressure, the soup will be even more delicious.