As I said, I am absolutely not a fan of sweet pastry. But I really like the famous cinnamon rolls (Cinnabon) and their variants. Actually this bread is one of such variations. The procedure of folding is somewhat different and the dough is different (I tried to make rolls of it, they are different from the original.) Dough, by the way, is the variation of brioche dough. It can be easily used for other sweet and airy pastry.
p.s. The recipe is inspired by havecakewilltravel.
For the dough:
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (8g) cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) coconut milk (full-fat) at room temperature
- 3 tbsp (36 g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt (fine sea salt)
- 250 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (10g) instant yeast
- 4 tbsp (56g) butter cold
- cooking spray
For the bread:
- bread pan (for 1 liter or even less)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- flour for rolling the dough
How to make brioche dough:
- Stir corn starch and 30 ml of water in a small saucepan. When it is well dissolved, add the remaining 90 ml, put on a small heat and bring to boiling. The liquid should be a little bit gelatin and foggy. Then remove it from heat and let cool completely. It is better to do it in the fridge, even though it is not very useful for it.
- Mix cooled liquid starch, milk, sugar and salt in a static mixer bowl. Set the dough hook, add the flour with the yeast on top and knead during 2 minutes from the time when the ingredients mix.
- After that, gradually, in small pieces, add the butter continuing to stir. Once the butter is added, knead the dough for another 4 minutes. After kneading the dough will be very sticky and wet (it will remind more of the dough for pancakes).
- Cover the bowl with foil and leave it for 45 minutes at room temperature. After that collect the dough in the center of the bowl with a blade, again cover with foil and put for 6-18 hours in the refrigerator. You can even reduce the time, but the dough should be really cold. After that it can be used for baking bread.
How to make the bread itself:
- First of all, mix sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Spread the chilled dough on a well-floured surface.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle of about 25cm to 40 cm.
- Slightly moisten the surface of the dough and cover it all with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
- Very gently press the powder into the dough and with a sharp knife cut the dough lengthwise into 4 strips. (The dough is very soft, so you should do it very carefully).
- Put the strips on each other sugar up.
- Cut into 6 equal piles and gently spread in a greased bread mold. The cuts should be face up. Hold with one hand the pieces that have already been put into the mold, otherwise they will fall. The mold should be tightly filled.
- Cover it with foil and leave to rise for an hour and a half.
- Warm the oven up to 180 degrees (without a fan). Carefully remove the foil from the dough, place a piece of foil in the oven and set the mold on it. The foil is needed if the sugar drops, it does not drip on the bottom of the oven.
- Bake your bread for 40 minutes. If after 25 minutes the top of bread becomes brown, cover it with foil.
- Give the bread cool a little bit and you can try! =)