Buns are the thing that reminds of school cafeterias. I don’t know the situation now, but when I was at school, such buns were probably in all school cafeterias of Russia. Often, they were the only thing that could be eaten in these canteens and enjoy. Even now, I sometimes want to eat such a bun in commemoration of those times. I want to share the recipe, how to bake buns, with the same flavor and texture, that was in my childhood, but even tastier.
- SERVES: 10-12 buns
- PREP: 30 mins
- COOK: 25 mins
- READY IN: 3 hrs 25 mins
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 1 cup water (lukewarm)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg slightly beaten up
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tbsp honey for coating
- The first thing to do is to dissolve the yeast in the water and leave for 5 minutes. You can do it right in the cup of your stand mixer.
- In 5 minutes, add there also honey, olive oil, salt and egg. Thoroughly stir the mixture and add 3 cups of flour. Stir until the sticky dough grips. Next, take the dough hook, if you used a different whisk for mixing and at low speed mix the remaining cup of flour.
- Continue mixing for 8 – 10 minutes at low speed until the dough is smooth and elastic. If the dough turns out very dry, you can add a couple of tablespoons of water. The dough should be soft to the touch, but not sticky.
- At the end of beating put the dough into a portable bowl greased with olive oil a little, cover with plastic wrap and leave the bowl in a warm place for 2 hours, the dough to double.
- After that, move the dough on a floured little work surface and knead for 30 seconds. Cover with plastic wrap and leave for 10 minutes.
- Further push the dough and divide it into 10-12 units. Of each part make into a smooth ball and lay out in the form in which you’ll bake, the same distance from each other. Cover and give rise for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven up to 200C (400F). Mix a spoonful of butter and honey and brush the tops of the muffins. Bake them for 15-20 minutes, until the tops do not acquire a golden brown color.
- Let the buns to cool and enjoy!